South Vancouver Real Estate
(Links below will take you to our sister website www.south-vancouver-houses-condos.ca)
|South Vancouver Houses
||South Vancouver Townhouses
||South Vancouver Condos
Community Facilities & Business
Parks: Jonathan Rogers Park, Mount Pleasant Park, Guelph
Park, Robson Park, China Creek North Park, China Creek Park, Sunnyside
Park, Glen Park, and Clark Park.
High Schools: Saint Patrick Regional Secondary School.
Elementary Schools: Simon Fraser, Florence Nightingale, Mount Pleasant, and Queen Alexandra Elementary School.
Community Centres: Mount Pleasant Community Centre.
Business Centres: Pacific National Exhibition, Vancouver City Hall, Mount Saint Joseph hospital and Vancouver Public Library are some of the business centres in Mount Pleasant.
Recycling / Garbage: The community garbage disposal and recycling centre is located just South of the intersection of Cambie and Marine drive.
South Vancouver CommunitySouth Vancouver is a federal electoral district in British Columbia, Canada, that has been represented in the Canadian House of Commons from 1917 to 1997, and since 2004. It covers the southern portion of the city of Vancouver, British Columbia.
South Vancouver sub area is a strong Indo-Canadian community. From its Ross Street Temple to the Punjabi Market at Main & 49th, this formerly blue collar area is transitioning to a younger professional area for those not quite ready for the heady Westside prices.
With all the attractions of East Vancouver, South Van is marked by diverse culture and activities. The South Vancouver Neighbourhood House provides numerous community services in a variety of languages. Its lively community is an enticing reason to make a South Vancouver house your home.
South Vancouver History
Historically, Mount Pleasant was known for its ideal location due to
the closeness of the community to Vancouver’s business district and its
vast availability to good water supply.
H.V. Edmonds, a clerk on the New Westminster council as well as the original owner of most of Mount Pleasant, named Mount Pleasant after the Irish birthplace of his wife.
In 1904, Mount Pleasant was home to two slaughterhouses, four breweries and a train station and by 1912, it's residential population had grown so rapidly that construction of schools, hospitals, fire halls and community centres increased rapidly to meet the demand.
Throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s many of the historical houses were moved out of the community to accomodate for more businesses, low-rise offices and warehouses.
Today, most of the original homes that were left in the community have been beautifully renovated and restored.